PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Cessna 150/152 Texas Taildragger
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 04:27
AWC Jeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to get some posts so I can show off N50835 here. Started as a C150J, owner used it for pipeline patrol in Oklahoma. Had an OOPS, ran out of fuel on short final. It was rebuilt with Extended Range (35 gallon tanks) wings, with a E vertical tail and rudder, plus a dorsal fin. Did the Taildragger Conversion, hung the O-320 off the front with a 74" C172 prop. Right after it was done, the Owner and his Wife made a trip to Alaska. Part of the STC documation. Next owner is based near St Louis, MO. 20 years hangared. Flew it to Florida once. Owned it for 20 years.

I'm the THIRD owner. At Mojave, CA. With a hangar.

Low hours, and NEVER a Trainer.

Max certified Gross Weight is 1700#. Legal is 25 gallons with 2 onboard.

Normal Cat, No Spins, etc.

And, how many people, and schools, sent out Instructors and Students with full tanks.

Just a Bit OVER GROSS, too.

Only problem I have with N50835 is Deferred Maintenance.

I'm Retired USN, Maintenance and Flying Background. With an Airframe Mech Cert I earned in 1970.

I've spent a bit of money bringing N50835 up to my Standards. And the best part of a year.

My Standards are simple. If it isn't correct fix it, so it doesn't bite you in the ass.

Long term Owners, don't view things that way, or so I've found.

I'M PROUD OF THIS LITTLE BIRD. It had issues when I got it, except for replacing the elevator trim tab, regging the elevator trim, and servicing the actuator, It's Ready.

Per Insurance my CFI had a 3 hour Solo in N50835. It ISN'T your typical C150. Take Off from MHV at well over 5000' DA, HOMESICK ANGEL AT 1700#. Determined the Service Ceiling is 13.500'. Fuel burn right at 8 GPH.

Quote "Sweet Flying little airplane".

CFI also mentioned the elevator trim is out. Couldn't trim enough Nose Up for a 3 point landing. He is also an A&P, so we took a close look at it. I made the decision it would be fixed before it flew again. +10, -9.7 degrees. Should be +10, -20 degrees. + - 1 degree.

Tried to adjust at the trim wheel, Nope. So took a close look at the trim tab and actuator.

Decided a new trim tab, linkinge is required. Just waiting for tools and Cherry Rivets right now. New (used) trim tab on hand.

More deferred Maintenance. Should of been corrected years ago.

I Know why the Elevator Trim has been deferred.

And, now I get to make it right.

And DAMM Cessna for using Phillips Head Screws to secure the Elevator Trim Actuator. After 40+ years, they don't want to budge.

Lets see if I can post a picture of N50835.

Please upload the original photograph to PPRuNe, links to facebook are not welcome