PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF 29 diversion to Manila
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2018, 23:42
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by haughtney1
Wow...inbound to Wanchai, at this time of year without alternate gas, bravery personified and probably just cost the airline all the savings they made by having a policy to not carry alternate gas for the last year or three.
Nothing like being compliant :-)
i operated northbound ex SYD day before yesterday at MTOW and whilst I had a very fat TEMPO (closer to 100 minutes) I didn’t have a MNL alternate. I did have of course Macau, Shenzhen, or Guangzhou but that’s not really too much of a help.

Having operated HKG- MEL last night with the cabin crew who took the QF29 northbound I know they were chockers. That means they were also likely to be MTOW ex MEL. They did a fair bit of off track diversions around weather in RPHI airspace but not sure if that contributed to the decision to divert but it’s likely they wouldn’t have had as much fuel ex MEL as I did ex SYD. I’d be reluctant to hang around with my fingers crossed for HKG with TS if I only had a bare bones TEMPO. The too probably had Guangzhou fuel but decided MNL early was the better option.

The go around in MNL was due heavy rain and no contact at minima.