PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2018, 16:40
AVR4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be good to have a camera view of the engines since my strong impression from different cases of "an engine was kept running when the evacuation commenced" is about the mindset beside actions related to the checklist.

Even if a bang is heard and the aircraft yaws slightly and the fire warning goes on - it doesn't mean "catastrophic fire" automatically so it is fully possible to stop with the idea of taxiing clear of the runway after shutting the engine down and use the fire suppression system. The lack of visibility from the flight deck and therefore inability to visually assess the engine condition could lead to the "taxi mindset". A camera showing the engines would tell a different story and the need for immediate evacuation and therefore immediate shutdown of both engines would be evident already during deceleration after the take-off was aborted.

It is also worth to mention that ATC didn't notify the pilots of fire on the left side of the aircraft. An appropriate conversation could have been:

"Speedbird 2276, stopping."
"Roger, Speedbird 2276, there are smoke and flames on your left side, smoke and flames on your left side, fire services are being dispatched."

Even after stopping with more serious fire, no radio call about this fact were transmitted to the crew, which could have assisted in their assessment of the situation.

I don't think the case is that easy that "blaming the captain" is the right course of action - there were several factors involved including a lack of information about the extent of the fire.

It was a bit different in Manchester 1985 since the tower immediately told the captain about the fire when he radioed "28 Mike, we are abandoning take-off... it looks as though we've got a fire on the number one" - ATC: "Right, there's a lot of fire, they are under way now" - this provided immediate cues about the situation and got them to alert the cabin crew during the roll about "evacuate on the starboard side, please" before the aircraft stopped.

The whole BA2276 story seems to revolve around a mindset that they had an engine failure, a serious one but nothing that would prevent them from taxi clear of the runway after assessing the situation. All videos of the aircraft when it comes to a stop before the doors open is a pretty good indication that the lack of information also meant that the sense of urgency weren't there.

If I hear an engine "go boom" I would like to be able to view it through a camera so I know what it is all about. Especially knowing that immediate evacuation and shutdown will be necessary after stopping (i.e. no "taxi clear of the runway" mindset).