PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windshear/Dynamic soaring
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2018, 13:39
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
At (say) 50mph the glider is covering 4400 feet per minute. At 50:1 it is losing 4400/50 fpm, ie 88fpm. Thus rising air at only 88fpm will enable it to maintain altitude, any more than that and it will be able to climb (or stay level and go faster at a less efficient l/d ratio).
That bit sounds perfectly feasible in theorey. The problems would be simply finding the jetstream, let alone finding it's edge, and getting the glider there in the first place. Those, I suspect, are pretty much insurmountable.

Surely of far more importance would be a way for airliners to find this rising air and stay in it enabling a considerable reduction in power to maintain speed. I have flown a Jetranger several times in strong ridge lift (canyon edge) for many miles at ludicrously low power settings so the theorey appears sound.

Have I got that right?
No, sorry- I'm not talking about rising air, I'm talking about wind-shear- change of wind velocity with altitude. An increasing head-wind is positive wind-shear and if sufficient can allow a glider to climb without actual rising air.