PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 11:39
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLAEDI

it has been mentioned on here before, as recently as edi_local‘s post saying it should be moved to Stirling, Perth or Fife as in his opinion it’s not to be celebrated in Capital of the country because it upsets some people getting to the airport. It’s a huge tourist attraction, celebrating Scottish Culture and rural life, it’s home should be in the Capital.
I merely stated it should be held in a better location. Indeed you see trucks and vans, as well as coaches and minibuses covered in logos and company names from mainly the North of Scotland coming to it. The name "Highland Show" suggests it is in the wrong place too, it's nothing to do with the capital city which surely has it's own plethora of attractions? It doesn't need to be in a rural location or even located that far away from Edinburgh, but Ingliston is not really a suitable place these days. It doesn't really matter if they were there first (which they weren't anyway), the fact is the infrastructure around the RHSG doesn't meet the requirements of today. In any case, the people will go to wherever it is, much like any other show. Travelling to a different location once per year is hardly going to put many off.

Anyway, to me it's not really a big deal. I navigate the traffic and manage fine for the day or so when it's in town, but I was thinking more from the actual organisers POV. They could move it to a new purpose built venue in a location that is not affected by already confined spaces and an inadequate road system. The show itself has presumably grown since the 1960s, yet the venue and road network have barely changed. That alone should be cause for them to cash in and built a new, world class facility which will allow an even bigger and better show. Even a glimpse of the show ground from the road to the airport lets one see the contributors appear to have very little space to display their wares.

The idea that the airport should move is ridiculous. You can't honestly think it's a sensible suggestion to move an entire airport and runway and all the other stuff that goes with that to a town which already houses a large petrochemical plant as well as tens of thousands of people. A new showground and exhibition centre is obviously going to be easier to build than an airport and the relocation of the RHSG would allow both to benefit from more space and improved access. The roads are not suitable for either, let alone both.