PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines wants a cabin crew ‘young and pretty’
Old 5th Oct 2003, 07:03
missleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twiggs...,

I'm so sorry if I was out of line, when I get started on something it's hard to stop typing. I was only trying to say Malaysia is not the western world where many of us live and enjoy a discrimination free career. Malaysians live in a different culture than many of us do, and the decision by MAS to retire their female flight attendants at 40 is difficult for some of us to understand, given the fact that we aren't given the shove till we are too frail to open the door anymore. We have extremely wonderful working conditions in Australia and many other parts of the world. The type of retirement MAS have introduced is something many of us will never have to endure. I was only trying to explain the reasoning behind it and provide a little understanding as to how and why this can happen in Malaysia.
As far as the religion goes, I should never have brough it up, but again I was trying to provide a bit of understanding. I spent a lot of time growing up in Malaysia and do know a little bit about the culture. I remember when women couldn't work in offices or public places in certain areas of Malaysia without the scarf. I remember times especially on the north east coast where Moslem policies are enforced a bit tighter than anywhere else.
Many things have changed now but my point is I disagree with the decision made my MAS from an airline employee point of view, but it's a decision we have to accept. I love Malaysia and always will, but I also respect the culture, religion and politics of that country. So should everyone else, it's a great country, enjoy it.