PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking on the flight-deck
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2003, 05:48
michael744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing series of replies on these 8 pages. I find it hard to understand why anyone would put up with smoking in the cockpit if there is a policy forbidding it. If you are a f/o or s/o use your CRM to explain the situation(stop or I am leaving at the next opportunity) to them and if they do begin to smoke then suffer through that flight and when the next landing takes place get off and call flt ops/crew schedules and asked to be replaced as smoke in the cockpit brings about allergies that may impact the safety of the flight. If it the f/o or s/o that smokes regardless inform him he will be removed from the flight at the next opportunity. In my 36 years career it has been my experience that those who flaunt one rule usually disregard others as well. Some of the SOPA for example, that can result in a lessening of flight safety. People who smoke in the cockpit against the policy are saying a lot about themselves, their character and how they deal with life in general....dishonestly. Get them out of the cockpit if they insist on smoking. I know nothing about Ryanair but I cannot imagine they would fire someone for removing themselves from flight duty because their abilities are compromised by a smoker in the cockpit.