PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Airport banning sleeping passengers
Old 18th Jun 2018, 05:14
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do folk here get so upset when I have just told the truth about SEN? Why do people say it is nonsense or worse when it is a fact that passengers sleep on the Stobart provided railway platform. It is not a criticism of the airport but it happens so get over it. By comparison even now Stansted offers 5 star luxury.

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/e...n-southend.htm

(Review by dar62) I had a flight at 7 am on Sunday, and there are no trains from London between 2 am and 8 am (the only connection available in the night is the X30 from Stansted, 16/one-way). I knew the airport would close, but while it was supposed to stay open until midnight, it got closed at 10 pm. The airside was not accessible, because the last flight had departed hours before, but I'd managed to catch a nap on the landside – the benches were soft and surprisingly comfortable for an airport, and there were no other sleepers. Between 10 pm and 4 am only the railway station was open, courtesy of the security guard – it was quite chilly and sleeping there was simply impossible without a warm sleeping bag (and that would have to go on the floor anyway), but still better than staying outside. There is also a McD 5 mins away, but I don't know the opening hours. On the positive side, Southend Airport is one of the few that have free shower facilities.
(Review by ladysarac) So I had this flight to Belfast at 6 in the morning and the last train from London left at 11pm something (no coaches to the airport)… Having spend nights all over Europe, it didn’t even cross my mind a London airport could close during the night… Got there at 11.50, prepared myself to sleep and the security guard came to say they were closing! I asked if there was anything open around (the airport is in the middle of nowhere…), and he said maybe the McDonalds, a mere half an hour walk away, would be open… I walked to the train station and found some fellow travellers there. It was so cold we literally forgot all decencies and slept almost pilled on each other. Airport re-opened at 4am… and yes, the McDonalds WAS closed.
(Review by UnsatisfiedTravller) Had to wait outside in the freezing cold for more than 2 hours before the airport actually opened. Had no idea the airport didn’t open till 4am. There’s also no transport which comes regularly so you’re forced to come hours before your flight, only to sit outside like a homeless person. About 16 of us were left outside shivering in the cold. No one anticipated an airport being shut. If you have an early flight I don’t recommend traveling through London Southend.
Southend Airport Customer Reviews | SKYTRAXJ Wayne (United Kingdom)

If your flight leaves first thing in the morning then don't bother! I travelled from Yorkshire to get my flight to Barcelona at 7 in the morning and got there at 1am had to "sleep" in the cold train station until it re-opened thankfully I wasn't the only person as there was about 10 of us. Last train from Southend to the airport was around 1am and vice versa so had no chance of going back into London for a few hours to pass time. There should be something for passengers who are catching flights first thing as not everyone drives and people come from far to catch early morning flights. Was ok once I got in speedy check in and going through security was fast too. Had a nice sleep on the plane but I wouldn't travel from there again because of the time it takes travelling and cost etc.
There are more reports on Trip advisor but I can't be bothered to dig them out

Last edited by LTNman; 18th Jun 2018 at 06:07.