PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uber Flying Cars: or pie in the sky dreaming?
Old 18th Jun 2018, 04:26
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
It's funny to me, the old curmudgeon, when I see these newfangled "flying taxis," or "pilot-less drone taxis" that are supposed to be the wave of the future. What's funny are all those multiple exposed propellers just above head-height: What regulatory agency is going to allow that? And yeah, I know they only run those props after the pax have boarded but they're still going to be operating in inner cities...supposedly.

The second thing that really makes me laugh are the depictions of the actual cabins: Flimsy, carbon-fibre shells like something you'd see on an amusement park ride. And the illustrations are always of shirt-sleeve weather. What about really hot climates? Or really cold? Or really rainy days? Will there be enough battery power to provide a decent air-conditioner or heater? Passengers WILL NOT put up with cold or hot or uncomfortable transportation devices. Ask any current (ground-bound) Uber driver.

Finally, as with any vertical flight vehicle used in an urban environment, I always say: "Don't forget the downwash!" Because there WILL be downwash. It will not be negligible or insignificant. The very idea of dropping down into the front plaza of an office building (where the fountain used to be perhaps, or the benches where the office workers from the bulding are having lunch?) is just silly. And if you can't take these things from point to point, what's the use? Might as well catch a real Uber. I mean, look at how ride-shares have reduced congestion in major cities so far!

I just don't see these things happening - not even in my wildest dreams. But hey, I've been wrong before...