PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 19:23
Sk1schoolsam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedywheels
Anybody else have the pleasure of arriving or departing the airport by road on Thursday afternoon/evening?

When I arrived on Tuesday afternoon the Surface car park was close to full. Leaving on Thursday, the place was in complete meltdown. Queues of traffic trying to leave the car parks and drop off areas with equal amounts of traffic struggling to get into the airport. Traffic was so slow, passengers had to resort to abandoning the buses, taxis and cars to walk from the A8 and Eastfield Road into departures. I understand there had been an RTA down towards the Gyle which was the initial cause but it did get me thinking the infrastructure and road system is creaking under the continual growth of flights.

It’s the National Cow of the Year Show at Ingliston next weekend, creating more stress to the traffic system. We are also only two weeks from the school holidays and presumably even more passengers using the airport. Thankfully, I will not be going anywhere near the place for the next few weeks but if events like Thursday are going to become the norm, I will need to rethink times that I want to use the airport.

Was Thursday a one off or are my fears that the road links are not capable of handling the traffic at peak times?
I don’t disagree that traffic management has been an issue for some time, and coming to the Airport as I do from out of the city I have limited public transportation options. However as @EDI have tweeted in response to numerous agree customer tweets the responsibility for the access road lies with the City Council. The airport are in discussions to build a new access road from Gogar but I am not holding my breath for anything to be built within a few years.
I will giving myself a bit more time when I head in tomorrow afternoon and again a week on Saturday.