PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK plan to launch rival to EU sat-nav system.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 16:59
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipname
I love it when people tell me I am wrong about something that I personally experienced. Let me give you more details about the experience and then you can tell me how wrong I am again.

Before Obama had his way with the health insurance (I don't know if his system is better or worse, I left USA before he made the changes) I was paying 99$ a month for a comprehensive health insurance, excluding dental insurance. On a Friday afternoon I went to see a doctor because I was experiencing some pain. He was unable to make an accurate diagnosis and sent me to the emergency room. When I arrived at the emergency room and gave them the note from the doctor they gave me some liquid to drink and shortly after I had an MRI scan. Not long after they told me that I need to have a surgery. I asked when they can do it and they said now. Next thing I know I was on the surgery table. Within less than 24 hours I got there, I had a diagnosis, surgery and was discharged from the hospital with a follow up check a week later. The hospital was like a 5 star hotel, clean, private room and bathroom and the staff very friendly and helpful. I never got any bills or anything.

Last month in UK I paid 397£ and my employer payed 524£ for national insurance. The only time I tried to book an appointment with a GP I was given a date which was a week and a half later and thankfully that ends my dealings with the NHS. However someone close to me fell off their bike and was scheduled for an MRI three months later!

How is the patient outcome pretty much the same between the two system? If I ever need medical assistance I know which system I rather took care of me.

As for the last part of your reply, besides my family I do not owe anybody health care or a living. I know it sounds harsh but that is the way I see things.
You're wrong because you seem to think that National Insurance pays for the NHS - it doesn't, as has been pointed out in previous posts. NI was originally brought in to pay for social welfare, not health care, and now isn't dedicated to paying for anything, although it does still determine state pension entitlement.

The hard facts, using the latest (2016) data, are that health care in the USA costs $9,892 per head, health care in the UK costs $4,192 per head. In other words, the US health care system costs twice as much per head as the UK system, and the US is the most expensive health care system in the world. The UK is the 17th most expensive out of the 35 countries from which data is available.