PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-Flight Airplane hacked - from the ground
Old 17th Jun 2018, 14:15
HighWind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BAengineer
Well i am not going to get into an argument but the Inertial Navigation System on a 757 is an ADIRU containing a laser ring gyro - which is the same technology as used in the 777. I totally agree that the way the system talks to each other is different but the basic system architecture for INS, GPS, ACARS etc etc is not that different.
Disclaimer ..I have never worked in the aviation industry..
If the AFDX works like TTEthernet, Then it is theoretically possible to compromise the system by re-configuring the AFDX switches, this makes it possible to impersonate data from all ADIRU's from one node in the network.
The question is how good the safety related networks, are separated from other networks..
The QoS of AFDX, and especially TTEthernet can separate the traffic (i.e. safety and non safety related), but the safety case in the older IEC61508 only takes 'babbling nodes' and foreseeable misuse into account, not someone deliberately hacking the system.

Chrysler have had some problems separating the different networks, they even have a small CPU acting as a firewall between between two networks.
The problem is that it can be updated from the infotainment side.