PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline alternative career path
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 10:21
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
You'll still need a CPL, and most likely an IR. I'd recommend taking the full ATPL writtens - that way you can go to ATPL (which basically means multi-crew) without needing more writtens later, and it's probably less work than doing the CPL and IR theoretical knowledge separately. I think you'll almost certainly also want an instructor qualification, whether you have ambitions to be a full time instructor or not.

I'm with you - I'm hopefully about halfway through a career that I'm thoroughly enjoying, in aviation, but have never felt any urge to fly an airliner (well ,maybe a little bit just for the experience), and continue to find my career thoroughly rewarding. But, if you're going to buck the mainstream, you will have to make your own path somewhat.

You probably do want to work out what your ideal objective is - what is your dream flying job? What are the best alternatives? Then plan for that - which might mean other qualifications as well: in my case I'm involved in test flying so it's a couple of aeronautical engineering degrees. If you want to be a bush pilot, then a basic aircraft maintenance qualification would almost certainly be essential. And so-on.

G