PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 09:57
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing in your claim that the turboprop guys are over-represented (and I notice you still include other internals) invalidates anything I’ve stated.
Geez, you’re like a dog with a bone on this line that mainline has a set against QLink pilots. ALL group pilots are over represented as a percentage of total applicants. This includes QLink pilots. Basically what I’m saying is that externals who are more qualified, more experienced but just happen to be external pilots have missed out to give priority to those within the group.

Does se this mean all within the group will get in? No. Some will deal themselves out of contention by how they perform at either psych/ skills, or at assessment centre. Does this mean if successful that they will get in straight away? No. Many have had to wait some months to get in. The longest I’ve heard was 15 months from when they were advised they were successful to their projected start date. A total of some two years from initial application.

Now you choose to interpret these things as a ‘bias’ against QLink. I see it as the most positive thing for QLink pilots since Qantas started recruiting again after an 8 year hiatus. Many of us older generation certainly remember the days when we took virtually no one from internal subsidiaries and the most likely move for a QLink driver to make was to become an F/O was with Ansett (prior to 2001) and VOZ (post 2001).

Was the QLink CP right about his numbers? I’ve no idea. I presume so and I’ll take you at your word on those numbers. Having been a part of the process assessing the ex cadets and LOI holders I can guarantee there was no bias, direction or other riding instructions against QLink pilots. Were all the recruiting decisions made over the last couple of years correct? Gosh no. We probably said ‘no’ to some who would be great and I know for sure we’ve said ‘yes’ to a few who have demonstrated oh so clearly that we got it very wrong. That still doesn’t demonstrate bias.

So for the avoidance of doubt, I’ll make it clear again. If you’re a low time GA pilot (say less than 2000 hrs) my opinion is that you’re a bigger chance of getting into Qantas in a few years if you go via QLink than if you hold out to be a DE 3500 hour pilot.

One more point. When I’ve sat across from an applicant I want them to do well- same with virtually all of the other recruiters. I watch the body language. I see the sweaty palms, the dry mouths, the stumbling over words, the internal chaos that comes at various times during an assessment centre. My heart breaks if someone is struggling- though less so if I’m watching someone arrogantly dig their own grave... and some certainly do. The individual pilot fronting up for interview is the greatest determinate of whether or not they’ll get through. Not what airline they think mainline may be biased against.