PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit pushing UK out of EASA
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2018, 21:00
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOddOne
Actually, the success story of the past 30 years has been European collaboration, especially with Airbus. 50% by value of the A380 is British-built, principally the wings and the engines.

Presumably, Airbus will be looking elsewhere for these items post-Brexit. This will be a massive loss to the UK economy.

The other major industry that will go is UK car-building, a major export earner.

These 2 losses combined will wipe £billions off the UK economy, thank you very much.

TOO
I will agree with you with regards Airbus moving jobs abroad, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened, after all, the government no longer holds shares. However I'm not sure that the motor industry will move abroad, the lesson learnt by Audi when they moved the TT production to Gjör in Hungary is a subject lesson which many understand.

For those unaware, the workers at Audi Ingolstadt were earning sufficient such that they could afford to buy a TT. However when the production was moved to Gjör, the registrations shrank rapidly as the workers building the cars were no longer able to afford them. What I am saying is that UK is the world's 5th biggest economy. If the british economy suffers, then so too will Germany, so will France and Italy. After all, if millions of jobs vanish in UK, who will be able to afford German cars, french wine and italian - well, whatever they sell......??? The impact will hit Europe significantly because 20% of the German motoring exports come to the UK. If we are bankrupt, well, what will happen to Mercedes, BMW and co? Or do you believe that Turkey and Albania, for example, will take the share of German cars which Great Britain used to purchase?