PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Minister calls for pay increase for servicemen
Old 16th Jun 2018, 12:43
ACW342

Location: 75' from the runway edge and 150' from the threshold
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Scotland Allowance

I was in Lossie ops '75 -'78. With the explosion of the oil industry in Scotland, mostly Aberdeen, and the pay for a married TG9 SAC with two children not going far enough to properly keep my family, the rumoured North of Scotland allowance was eagerly anticipated but it never happened. At the time I was in receipt of FIS (Family Income Supplement) and rent rebate. In order to make ends meet I drove taxis (Aaron & Ross Anderson) occasionally drove Lossie trawler crews in a minibus to/from Ullapool and Lochinver. My Wife cleaned caravans at at Silver Sands caravan camp and worked in Dougies Fish and Chip shop in Hythe Hill. My boss, Sqn. Ldr Jock Urquhart even gave me a chit to permit me to take my unused nightshift rations (Eggs, Bacon, bread cheese and biscuits) home. On one memorable Christmas I had, with much planning bought a load of fish on tick from lossie fish market (80 Stone) and with aid of the lend of a van distributed the fish to the crew of the Brittania from Boscombe, thence into the Bomb bay of a Canberra from, IIRC, Binbrook and a large amount onto a Shack from 8Sqn. which then proceeded to Coningsby where a contact in the tower was waiting to exchange the fish for fresh Lincolnshire vegetables and chicken. These items were pre ordered by families at Lossie. I know that in these enlightened times my story will, I'm sure, appear to some to be just that, a story . However, it is true, and I'm not the only one who had to resort to such measures. Half the Mars Bars in the country were made by airmen from Uxbridge /LATCC Mil working with or without their bosses permission. I don't know how much the guy at Coningsby got for the fish, but after paying for the fish and a few cans for the loan of the van I came out with £34.00. Paid off the catalogue where the childrens presents were purchased and a few tins for me and some thing nice for my wife. It's called survival. Oh and thanks to Jock Urquhart and Paddy Brown, shortly after a much needed posting to Wildenrath, my promotion to Corporal was waiting in Bob Parrots safe in ops. That meant a cross posting to Bruggen where I eventually set the airfield on fire. But that's another story