PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2018, 11:01
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Seagull201
4. Keg: You appear to be in QF management. I'm sure you are.
lol. Mate, you’re obviously new to PPRUNE! My real identity is pretty well known. Not management. Just a pilot. I’ve dabbled in a few things over the years. Management (at least in Qantas) isn’t yet one of them.

**The problem with Qlink/internal applicants is, all pilots should have a seniority number on commencement of employment!
i dont expect you to search through 5000 posts over nearly 20 years but agreed. Not sure how old you are but if you’re younger than 30 a bunch of us in mainline have been pushing this barrow since you were in primary school. It’s not without nuance though. More on that shortly.

**If Qlink pilots can wear a QF uniform and accept a lower pay scale than "mainline", then they should at least have a QF seniority number,
whilst flying the Dash 8 or B717.
Interestingly it hasn’t always been the same uniform. I think it was probably 2010 or thereabouts when the QF board recognised the presence, or cache that came with the ‘Qantas pilot’ uniform. Suddenly it was expanded far and wide. Beyond that I’m not sure of the relevance of the unfiform to the point you’re making. Do you think because you wear the same uniform you’ve already demonstrated everything you need to be a mainline pilot and should naturally progress? Now I’m already on record that I believe in group seniority but that doesn’t give you carte Blanche to walk into mainline without demonstrating you’re suitable! No doubt most regional pilots are but it’s clear from this thread that some most definitely aren’t. Interestingly too there are multiple accounts of former regional pilots struggling with adjusting to losing a couple of stripes and the new role. That’s cool. I get it. Been there myself losing a stripe. I’m trying to work out why though those stories are almost all about Dash 8 pilots. Rarely about the ex JQ F/Os, or the ex Network, etc. Rarely about externals either.

The unform is a clown costume designed to generate social media buzz. You’re re deluding yourself if you think it carries any more weight than that. What does carries weight (apart from my stomach area) is doing the job.

5. Second Officers: Look, QF should have a programme, where S/O's are upgrade to "trainee first officer status", after 3 years. Meaning, they fly at least 1 leg a month and participate in at least 1 take off and landing a month.
OK. Now I need to ask. How old are you and how long have you been in ‘the group’? You’ve clearly got no idea about mainline operations. Tankengine has kindly addressed this issue but when you’re only getting two landings a month- I did 11 in 6 months as an A380 F/O- there’s barely enough to share around to maintain competence let alone taking a low time S/O and expecting them to improve.

6. Something has to eventually give, where "mainline and qlink pilots", are under a single seniority list, and under a "single QF Group banner".
As previously stated I’m a fan of a group list but there is an undercurrent of entitlement in your entire post Seagull that is quite troubling. It’s the same attitude that I’ve alluded to earlier in my post and what some Dash 8 crew have struggled with in mainline. Even with a group list I wouldn’t expect to be automatically granted a Dash 8 Command (say) when I turn 65. After so many years in mainline I may not be suitable for what is a somewhat different role. I’d expect to have to jump through a few hoops first- and I don’t just mean line training. Or is QLink so desperate that two arms, two legs, a pilot’s license and a pulse gets you a gig? Maybe that explains the attitudes.