PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2018, 10:08
dvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A4
So, just put up signs (multi lingual) by the hatched No Stopping area saying that you will be fined £60 for stopping in the hatched area (the same as the lay-bys on the approach road - where you ARE fined if caught on camera stopping in them). Put up some dummy cameras....or even real ones and fine people. Or have traffic wardens there with handheld cameras. It really presses my buttons that some people think that rules don’t apply to them and they can do whatever they like with total disregard for anyone else.

Having an accident in an area like this is a nightmare because it’s not public highway and the police won’t get involved unless someone is hurt....it makes the whole insurance/proof thing very tedious apparently.

A4
I don't think that would work. I believe the road, drop offs etc. are private land and let me quote

Private companies can issue parking tickets and may call them Parking Charge Notices, but they are not the same as the Penalty Charge Notice.
They are not backed up by law. Instead, they are invoices for a breach of contract.
If the car park operator wants to force you to pay, they will need to take you to the civil court, which is costly and time-consuming.

I've heard about and spoken to few people who got "fined". Off all of those who didn't pay none were taken to court.
The dual carriageway isn't the problem either. The drop off zone itself is a bottleneck and as long as the drop off charges are competitive to public transport many will choose to get a lift by car. Maybe introducing higher peak time drop off charge would help, but I can see people complaining "I don't have that much money on me. I didn't know I have to pay more at 5am. No english ". That wouldn't look good in the media either..