PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Ireland SAIL
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2018, 09:33
linmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
I guess it will much depend on where you put the bar, esp. hours and language proficiency. That'd be something.....!!
At least the recruitment team is still made up of pilots, thank god.

Yes, of course. Still plenty of young cadets out there who wouldn't hesitate for a second to join SAS, especially in Sweden where about 150 new pilots are trained every year (at least that's the number of new-issued CPL/MPL annually). I seem to recall back in the day when SAS hired cadets, mainly from TFHS, that they required a 1:2 ratio, that is for every applicant that passed the selection process, two were failed (this from the late 90's or early 00's).

If my information is correct that ratio was 2:1 in 2014-2016, although it should be noted that the vast majority of pilots called for assessment in these years were experienced pilots and not cadets.

However I don't think neither SAS Main nor SAS Ireland can handle being companies with high turnover ratio and hiring mainly cadets. In a few years, maybe, but the training capacity isn't big enough to handle that at the moment. For SAS Ireland, rumour is that the training department is falling apart after CAE has utterly failed in providing enough resources into the TD.