PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solution to vulnerability of aircraft to NYC style terrorism / variation on a theme
Old 2nd Oct 2001, 00:04
Scotflight Aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OK..so I'm taking the HISS, but seriously...Jones..I got no idea what your involvement is with aviation, but I fully understand the press articles tend to mislead people about the automatic landing capabilities of fly-by-wire airliners.
having flown Airbus and Boeing, both with autoland capability, it has to be said that there's no way these aircraft can land automatically without substantial pilot intervention throught all stages of the approach. Unfortunately, when intelligent but innocently mis-informed members like yourself place ideas which the rest of us know wouldn't work, they tend to receive some undeserved criticism rather than more constructive educational explaination. So please keep bringing your ideas here.
Besides...perhaps something sounds sensible about your idea of a "panic button" which may do something to distract, confuse or injur attackers. After all, the banks have panic buttons which activate a strengthened curtain between the robber and cashier.
Haven't figured out what though...but look forward to seeing your comments again..

And welcome to the prune brigade of sarcasm and cynicism!