PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK plan to launch rival to EU sat-nav system.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 04:39
tescoapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesn't really matter what gives the position data be it this or GPS or any of the other global positioning systems.

I think you just have to accept that at some point they will be charging by the mile/km. When that will happen I have no clue.

For myself I do use public transport if I can but on earlies nothing is running at the time I need to move. And same when I get home from lates unless I am willing to cut into my 12 hour rest period by up to an hour waiting for a bus. If I am more than 40 mins late that's it for the night. UK I suspect its even worse than where I am, at least here they have an airport bus service that the first bus arrives 1 hour before the first morning departure and leaves 40 mins after the last arrival at night.

I have zero clue about early morning London Public transport. Would it be possible to get to work without unreasonable additional time being stolen from your life?

They will at some point try and recover the whole cost of the system to the user other wise its pretty pointless because they will have spent more on it that they will get back in taxes.

In some ways they have leaped frogged by technology as well as there is now several ways of getting similar resolution using conventional GPS. DGPS gets down to 10cm and SBAS gives 1 meter horizontal and 1.5 meters vertical. So it will all come down to cost of the high res signal. Those that need it already have DGPS. They are portable by one person and don't take long to setup, most of the time is waiting for the error to resolve down. But for some waiting half a day until the error resolves down for 10 cm will make the cost worth it.

Last edited by tescoapp; 16th Jun 2018 at 04:55.