PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Fuel Rules! Land in a "field" what a joke!
Old 16th Jun 2018, 02:17
megan

Received 393 Likes on 208 Posts
Can I ask what your legal Min fuel was when you operated these heroic flights landing with just minutes of fuel onboard? Perhaps this catching up to the rest of the world regulation was designed to protect persons such as yourself?
Nothing heroic you prat. Just a demonstration how one can be caught out by events which one has no control over, that being unforecast weather, and using a little nouse to ensure a safe outcome. One thing I never ever did is purposely burn into reserve, even in combat, this being the only time in 20K. Oh, by the way, reserve was 30 mins in the example. I'd like to be educated how declaring a MAYDAY in my example would have helped. I'd suggest that this MAYDAY rule was designed to cover twats like the crew driving Avianca Flight 52 or United Airlines Flight 173.

The rules dictate how much reserve fuel is required, if folks transgress it's no different to ignoring other rules, low flying for example. If forced by weather to engage in a bit of low flying should we declare a MAYDAY, because accident reports tell us it often doesn't end well with deaths aplenty. As said by LeadSled, it is using your brains (aka airmanship) that counts, not slavish and mindless conformity with "the rules". What's the saying, rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools (quote is attributed to Harry Day, the Royal Flying Corps First World War fighter ace).