PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch Out!!
Thread: Watch Out!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2018, 13:13
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
He asked for volunteers and I handed over father's watch for testing. The geiger counter went off-scale.
In the fifties my father, a friend of his and I used to charge around the Rhodesian bush with a Geiger counter looking for the new instant riches, uranium. The part of Matabeleland we were exploring had a fair smattering of old gold mine shafts and pits which we would explore with said instrument.
We came upon a vertical shaft with the rotting remains of a ladder attachment on the side. I declined the invitation to use the ladder so we lowered the Geiger counter on a rope and it went berserk when it reached the bottom.
I was now ordered to descend which I did by hanging on to various bits sticking out of the shaft supported by a rope and harness.

The bottom was dark so I pulled my torch out and flashed it around to come upon a skeleton lying on the floor with the counter by its watch hand.
Levitating myself to the top again we decided that the best thing we could do was to report the occurrence to the police.

They came along and recovered the remains but they never established whom the male person was. We did however go to his funeral to give him a bit of a send off.