PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight School - Canada vs. US
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2018, 09:58
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by WH87
At the moment, I’m leaning strongly towards doing my training in the US, however, my main concern is employment eligibility after graduation. As a foreign citizen, is it even possible for me to obtain work authorization in the US? If not, then the obvious choice for me would be to stay in Canada.
WH87,

It's kind of a tough call. If connections to employability are a major factor, you need to be able to get legal ability to live/work in the USA. As a Canadian, it seems to me the jury is still out on how you'd do getting a work visa here. There have been allegations that a couple of regionals will entertain a visa for Canadians (Air Wisconsin ? Republic ?) but it's not the "comparative" slam-dunk like the visa for Aussies.

You've likely seen this ? It's hard to say what's actually happening and if you could count on it by the time you became regional bait:

Some U.S. regional airlines are now sponsoring Canadians for the H1B Vis - AVCANADA

If you train in Canada and felt an FAA ticket would be to your advantage, this process makes it cheap and easy:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...AC_61-135A.pdf

Either way, best of luck.