PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Conspicuity in the UK
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2018, 22:31
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
I read the article Leemoore1966 and I immediately thought that all the Go Pros, Pilotaware, tablet, wires, cables, batteries, antennae and plugging into the aircraft audio may have led to the pilot being distracted in the first place. When I have a look at some of the General Aviation posts on FaceBook I am aghast at the amount of fiddling with gadgetry in flight that would get you 6 points and a £200 fine in a car!

However, going back to Genghis’s original post, as we fly our aircraft globally then we need to have detection capabilities of international standards and not a proprietary standard like Pilotaware. FLARM is bad enough, but as it is mandated in several countries and strongly encouraged in others for gliders, that are notoriously hard to see, then it is worth it. In my humble opinion introducing another proprietary system at a low cost is counter to creating a safe environment as it just dilutes the chances of getting a detection of it by another system. 1090 Mhz mode 1, 2, 3 and 4 with C and ADS-B is already out there in use by the military and civilian operators, so why introduce something else?