PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Chopper Access - #inthedarkages
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2018, 17:03
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OvertHawk
The use of Falcon / Vanguard is viewed differently by many people in terms of legality. It's considered by the CAA to be in a congested area and therefore requires a rule five permission. The restrictions placed within those permissions are crippling for most types and prohibitive for many. I now know that there will begin a whole round of "it's not a congested area because you can come in / out over the river" and "I've been going there in my single for years" but... That's not my opinion - it's straight from the CAA's mouth. Are they doing much to police it? No. Will they throw the book at you if there is ever an incident - almost certainly.
I don't disagree - if the CAA think its a congested site, then I would not myself think to disagree. I and I think that Falcon also agree, as you can't land there without obtaining CAA permission and sending a copy to them. See their paperwork for anyone intending to visit, which includes:

D -I have been authorised to operate to Falcon London Heliport by my AOC holder (only relevant for Commercial)
E - I attach my authorisation to operate into/out of Falcon London Heliport issued by the CAA (Private flights only)
F - CAA Flight Approvals, please ensure that the approvals for items D and/or E issued by the CAA are attached

So if CAA are not going to give you authorisation (for a commercial trip in a single, for example) then you can't get a slot with Falcon as you can't supply the necessary papers. Even if you have, for years, been going in there.

(You can get a commercial single into Battersea, however.)