PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Chopper Access - #inthedarkages
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2018, 14:01
OvertHawk

Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by John R81
Don't forget that in London there is also Falcon Heliport (previously known as Vanguard). The other side of London from Battersea (or London Heliport), also on the Thames, and closer to Canary Warf and the City. I have been in / out Battersea several times, but not Falcon (only over-flown it) so can't speak practically about the approach / departure profile. However, they do seem to me to be "more interesting," as Falcon doesn't have the landing pad extended into the river like Battersea.

Pictures on the site linked.
The use of Falcon / Vanguard is viewed differently by many people in terms of legality. It's considered by the CAA to be in a congested area and therefore requires a rule five permission. The restrictions placed within those permissions are crippling for most types and prohibitive for many. I now know that there will begin a whole round of "it's not a congested area because you can come in / out over the river" and "I've been going there in my single for years" but... That's not my opinion - it's straight from the CAA's mouth. Are they doing much to police it? No. Will they throw the book at you if there is ever an incident - almost certainly.