PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Conspicuity in the UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 13:17
leemoore1966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
PliotAware will eventually become the conspicuity Betamax. It uses unlicensed frequencies so will never be certifiable.
When I reviewed a number of conspicuity devices a year or so ago, the only one which was of any use was the Trig device which didn't need a display - and gave only genuine collision warnings. I was quite shocked at the 'panel gazing' of many of the GA pilots involved - VFR implies L00KOUT, not staring at some iToy!
That is a compliment - most people know that Betamax was a better technology, but VHS had a better marketing strategy by securing deals with the film distributors, and we have no wish to be certifiable, although it seems some remarks on forums can sometimes appear certifiable !

I agree with your comments regarding not staring at an iToy, hence I was pleased to read the following article on CHIRP, whereby a PilotAware user was able to avoid a sticky situation using his 'amateurish unlicensed dogs dinner of a toy, Lashed up in a shed' (search PilotAware Rosetta to see what this really looks like)
If you want to read a genuine article by real users, go to page 4 Situational Awareness, no staring at iToys involved in this article
http://www.chirp.co.uk/upload/docs/G...20Version).pdf

Normal service is now resumed - please return to bashing PilotAware ....

Last edited by leemoore1966; 13th Jun 2018 at 16:11.