PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 42, sitting on cash, no interest in airline flying - advice?
Old 13th Jun 2018, 10:16
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you commit to aviation training there are a few questions that you should ask yourself:

Can you afford to lose the five figure sum of money that it would take to train through to completion? Flying training is a massive gamble with your money at stake and you should never gamble what you cannot afford to lose. There are plenty of people who have worked long and hard to train and have never flown professionally. Do not commit any money until you have a Class 1 medical in your pocket.

I do not know your domestic situation (wife, partner kids etc) but you will need the support of those closest to you during training and possibly your first job. You may have to live remotely from home during training and/ or your first job. Long periods of absence can undermine even a strong relationship and there are plenty of divorced pilots who only see their kids rarely.

Can you support yourself (and family) during training as well as pay training fees? Such things as mortgage, rent, food, utility bills etc still have to be paid.

If you do not train could you live with the ‘what if’ or ‘if only’ questions that you will ask yourself later down the line?

Focussing on one employer in the current low hours recruitment situation is not advisable though if you really want Logan then they used to have some sort of link with Tayside Aviation, not sure if that’s still going and I understand that Wings Alliance pupils have also been taken by Logan. I’m sure that Tayside and Wings Alliance will answer any questions that you have.

Have a Plan B ready in case you do not walk straight out of training into a job and be ready for Plan B to become Plan A while you look for flying work. We have no idea what the industry will be like in 12 to 18 months and we have no idea how Brexit will look and how that might affect employment prospects.

Finally I’m not going to say that you should or should not train, only you know how strong your desires, dreams and ambitions are and it’s not my place to inflate or deflate them. The choice has to be yours alone. I wish you good luck in weighing up the options and if you do decide to train then you have my sincere best wishes with the training and job hunting.

​​​​​​​