PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Fuel Rules! Land in a "field" what a joke!
Old 13th Jun 2018, 00:17
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
If this was the only statement in the amendment

“there may be occasions where it is more important to exercise your judgement to determine the safest outcome” implies that exercising judgment to determine the safest outcome is only occasionally of paramount importance.
I would agree but you have to include the whole section to have any context which includes:

Preserving fixed fuel reserve is the foundation for in-flight fuel decision making which in-turn leads to safer operations. That doesn't mean that in all instances preserving your fixed fuel reserve is the highest priority.
Really, it is just semantics. I don't disagree with your sentence as a stand alone statement but I also don't disagree with the massage that CASA are trying to put out. Ultimately, who cares? However pilots want to run their flight is entirely up to them, but if the engine runs out of fuel before the mixture is put to the ICO position then the pilot will probably need to explain why.