PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Fuel Rules! Land in a "field" what a joke!
Old 12th Jun 2018, 22:36
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
The changes to the content of the CASA webpage are a manifestation of the completely busted regulatory ‘reform’ program we have.

There is no longer any process of proper policy development and rule making. The policy is whatever one or two people with strong opinions in CASA - on six figure salaries of course - decide the policy should be from time-to-time, translated into regulatory requirements from time-to-time to become ‘objective truths’.

If Leadsled was in there, his strong opinions would become the ‘objective truths’. If Aerocat was in there, his strong opinions would become the ‘objective truths’. And so on for Lookleft etc.

Policy ‘development’ in aviation regulation is a process of trying to change the strong opinions of individuals in the regulator. That’s not how policy is developed and implemented in efficiently functioning regulatory regimes.
From 8 November 2018, all pilots must conduct in-flight fuel management, including in-flight fuel quantity checks at regular intervals.
I coughed up my muesli when I read that. It’s an outrage!

I demand the right to continue to take off and ignore the fuel gauges, fuel flow meter and fuel totaliser, refrain from doing groundspeed checks to confirm whether my actual flight time will be the same as planned, and just declare a MAYDAY when the fuel runs out.
There may be occasions where it is more important to exercise your judgement to determine the safest outcome, which may include landing with less than fixed fuel reserve remaining.
You’re getting there, slowly.

Try this as the next amendment: As pilot in command you are always required to exercise your judgment to determine the safest outcome, which may include landing with less than fixed fuel reserve remaining.