PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2018, 09:59
Navpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave R

You are absolutely correct and I totally agree it is somewhat tedious rehashing known arguments, however I think the Heathrow arguments (and indeed Crossrail2, etc etc etc ), have to be set across the backdrop of what can only be described as the utter chaos continuing on the railway network across The North Of England. This is exemplified by 26 Northern titles all carrying the same banner headline , as well as ITV combining their regional news feed last night so it covered Lincolnshire to Merseyside and Cheshire to the Scottish Borders. A cancelled train in London means one may have to wait 20 mins for the next, a canx train up North and it can be 2 hours before another appears . If you rely on rail for work and that happens two days on the bounce you might be looking for new employment !

Unfortunately I hate to say this but because ITS NOT LONDON it’s not in the London based media pyche. Had the same problems been experienced by London commuters you can bet your bottom dollar Marr, Peston, Newsnight, Pienarrs Politics etc would have been dragging ministers into the studio to explain what the hell they intend to do about fixing it. Heathrow spend is front and centre because The North appears to many of us to be transparent as far as Westminster and The BBC are concerned. The platitudes by Grayling to fix the problem seem empty , blame culture is rampant there is no fix in sight. Contrast this with wholesome support for Heathrow, in Westminster, by comparion it appears to have little scrutiny. The BBC as ever remains oblivious, some might say “compliant” !I won’t bore readers with detail but the frustration is all to obvious with recent rail infrastructure in the North of a paltry £200m, “cue klaxon alert from TheNorthernPowerhouse” although modest projects implemented in The North have been somewhat “half cock” so in effect even this modest amount of money has in effect been wasted. Its like building Heathrow rw3 but without the terminals. When experts have indicated that an extra £200m would fix a particular project and be transformational their arguments are consigned to the bottom draw of a cabinet in Whitehall marked “ to do 2026”, if we are lucky.

The sums invested in The North are pitifully modest but given we are coming from such a low base they would make an incredible differenceThe media up North recognise the shortfall , they are as one, they are furious that we are simply not being heard, the rage is palpable so when Heathrow is seemingly signed off and indeed Crossrail without reference to articles and indeed criticism which has been referenced in The FT, Sunday Times, Daily Telegraph is it no wonder many feel like venting their spleen

Last edited by Navpi; 12th Jun 2018 at 10:36.