PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAPt for NPA in ILS Chart
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2018, 23:01
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
Incorrect. Accurate enough to stay within safe limits if actually flying one, but it is the one-eyed leading.

OP is fine. He knows the MAPt label only applies to the charted LOC procedure, not for the ILS. He's only looking for a reference, and have been given multiple. Apologies for being blunt but you are the confusing one, who did not know there is a difference, and refuse to fold in face of the evidence.

If no feelings hurt, I invite you to have a look at the graphics of the two approaches I posted. Both charts are graphically designed by the respective National Civil Authorities / ATS Providers of the Netherlands (EHAM - the Europe's largest airport trafficwise) and the UK (EGKK - world's busiest runway per airliner movement). You do not get there by being sloppy with the details: clearly showing the MISAPCH start for ILS is different from the MAPt associated with the LOC only procedure.

PENKO: later in the day, or tomorrow. May need to ask some people and check FMS coding to give you a 360 answer. This should not be perpetual.
No hurt feelings here FD

I ought to have been more clear. As referenced in the doc posted above, all approaches have a MAPt, beyond which we will no longer be trying to land. On a PA, that place is at the DA. On a NPA, it's what we typically call the "missed approach point" i.e. a fix on the ground. And yes, the "M" on a jepp chart only applies to the NPA.

In my opinion if on the night ILS 18R in EHAM, I'd say you can ID the runway as 0DME. If you want to get very technical, with a DH of 200ft AGL, that would be ~2/3 nm from the runway.

The ILS-V 9L at KPHL is similar. At DA, you make an immediate right turn. Having gone missed from that ILS, ATC is quick to give instructions.