PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loc (GS Out) Appr - MDA / Missed Approach Point
Old 11th Jun 2018, 20:01
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+3. It's unfortunate how commercial pressures (including self-funding) cut down the training time. 0 to ATPL in 1 year, speaking EU.

@aterpster thank you. It's nice they re-introduced the MDA/H label, it helps a lot.

I believe Jeppesen does only print one version of minima sheet per each approach chart, and that one is distributed worldwide (*). The label "STANDARD" stands for WX minima provided as per Amendment 1 (new) to (EU) OPS 1.430. While EU-OPS is no longer in force the values remain numerically identical to the current EU standard EASA IR. The one previous was "JAR-OPS" for us here. Or you could also have STATE or PANS-OPS based on different legislation, and I suspect there must be a table for FAA minima / US operators.

Now imagine e.g. Moscow some time ago, where the RF would provide STATE minima for local operators and mandate them (probably no longer the case). All the other countries operators would use PANS-OPS minima most likely, except for the EU guys. Half of those would use JAR-OPS during the transition period, the other half already STANDARD. As explained by the helpful Frankfurt Jepp people, it was a major headache to decide which customer group should take precedence as there could be only one single version of the chart.

I am clueless what are the Jepps options these days, admittedly. Some other charting providers, who started younger with a more digital back-office as well as significantly smaller business reach, would simply ask the customer: Which legislation = minima you operate to? And then provide the aerodrome charts with those printed for any place worldwide. And that is the spirit.

(*) unless you go for TAILORED charts, where the money starts flowing.