PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So WestJet almost puts one of their 737 in the water while landing at St-Maarten...
Old 11th Jun 2018, 17:20
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PEI_3721
at, #274, (as I assume you know) accidents or near misses are rarely a simple issue.
_

The crew expected visual conditions, they elected to fly a RNAV NPA. Unknown to them, and as explained in the report, the wx vis reduced below minimums (new, but unannounced ATIS).

The assumptions (and hazards) in NPAs are that the final approach will be completed visually, requiring contact with the airport environment, that the content of a visual scene is sufficient to determine position, and manoeuvre vertically and laterally towards the runway.
references for the intended runway is distinctly visible and identifiable to the pilot:

What I am bound to flying an FAA-registered aircraft below MDA or DA, at least one of the following:

(i) The approach light system, except that the pilot may not descend below 100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation using the approach lights as a reference unless the red terminating bars or the red side row bars are also distinctly visible and identifiable.

(ii) The threshold.

(iii) The threshold markings.

(iv) The threshold lights.

(v) The runway end identifier lights.

(vi) The visual glideslope indicator.

(vii) The touchdown zone or touchdown zone markings.

(viii) The touchdown zone lights.

(ix) The runway or runway markings.

(x) The runway lights