PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top 10 lies in ATC
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2018, 15:42
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old Coffs FSU used to be home to two one-off characters (JR and SS) . JR once repeatedly ignored a local pilot's many calls requesting "radio check . .. how do you read?" Some time later this driver-airframe was up in the office where JR was still on the job. "By the way" , he said to JR ", did you hear me asking you this morning for a radio check?" "Yeah mate. You were two by two ." "Well that's a load of codswallop." "I'm telling you, you were 2 by 2 - too loud and too often."

As for old SS, he wasn't nick-named Slack Stan for nothing, as he came across as casual and laid-back, but truth was this demeanor hid a sharp mind and a man good at his job. In their rest room there were some of the old steel lockers marked C of A (Commonwealth of Australia) , one of which had dymoed on it ESSENTIAL USE ONLY. The locker next to it was Stan's. He had dymoed on it SENSUAL USE ONLY.

Then there was the croppy taxying Wagga late one afternoon "Wagga - ABC taxying Wagga for Hay" "G'day Fred. Hope you make Hay while the sun shines."

This one got a mention on the back page of the afore-mentioned AUSTRALIAN AVIATION when Jim Thorne ran it. It concerned a pilot with a pronounced stammer. There was only one HF frequency workable , and that with difficulty. Ch..Ch..Chris was trying to make an ops normal call , but the Sydney FSU and the Lord Howe FSU (calling each other) were making it hard for anyone else to be heard. Finally Chris managed to get a word in edgeways - "L...Lord Howe I wish y..y..you'd sh .. . shut up!"

KLM pilot on being advised he was a little left on the localiser (thick Dutch accent - ) "Yes... that is correct. And my first officer is a little to the right of it."