PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA F/O faces Jail for reporting to work drunk
Old 11th Jun 2018, 12:43
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks flash8

'Multidisciplinary team' is just a PC term whereby individuals' decisions are questioned after the event. nothing has really changed. Unlike multicrew aviation post Windsor where decisions are cross checked at the time. An anaesthetist works on his own most of the time. Nobody can question or is even aware of his judgement until it is immaterial

We do have quite a good system for picking up those addicted to drugs and alcohol with a protocol accepted by the government in some countries such that the individual is stopped from working, given help and then allowed to continue working, albeit sometimes in another specialty. These systems were designed by and operated by doctors, not employers or authorities. No police or court involvement. I have seen more than a few colleagues / trainees continue to work successfully afterwards.

However there is no proscribed alcohol level for being a doctor or nurse. I have never seen anyone breathalyzed. I have never seen anyone picked up for being drunk as opposed to being an ongoing alcoholic. Is it that fellow doctors are more ready to pull the individual up, is it that the presence of a rescue system and no prosecution means the individual is more ready to admit their problem and accept help, or is medicine less safe? I certainly dont know but food for thought