PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reuters article about pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 22:57
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I will opine that single pilot ops for any comm air ops has to be viewed in terms of system redundancy. Which in the grand scheme of things means that a single pilot operation must be able to be completed from in-flight catastrophic failure of the human(death, disability), to emergency notification, selection of alternate, change the FMS, enable the change, and execute the descent and landing safely.

What no one has thought to discuss yet, and where I see it going is the ground-slaved mode. Where a single or multiple ground drone pilot(operator?) monitors 10-20-30? single pilot ops from the ground. There is some form of 'heartbeat' checking between the on-board single pilot and the automated ground check station. Should a routine comm fault occur, a retry would happen, and in the event the retry comm failed, the ground/drone operator/pilot would intercede and take control from there, conducting the emer as required and bringing the meatsacks(or cargo initially) to ground safely. The flying public is somewhat conditioned to this already as we know drones operate around the world pilot-less. How this will translate to the majors is a question for the next generation of Gameboy enmeshed goobers.

I think this is the interim of the game, and the drone operator/pilots will be predominantly button-pushing video-game driving scabs. No where near the training(and pay) of a front line pilot.

YMMV, object in mirror, contents have settled, and may cause anal leakage.