PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reuters article about pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 18:55
Father Dick Byrne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by act700
I hate to say it but I'm with googlebug on this...single pilot ops is just around the corner, freighters first (that'll be the Beta test).
So as if by magic, it’ll make financial sense to replace super-cheap, old, sometimes tired, airframes, with brand new pilotless ones, to fly low utilisation ops in the dead of night?

The landscape is changing, but numbers are still numbers, and there’s no way it makes sense to go pilotless in the vast majority of freight operations.

The pilot community has been delinquent. It has failed to fly a flag for the good that pilots do every day, to make operations reliable, economical, and timely. It has relied on appallingly outdated unions whose leaders seldom have any connection to reality. As pilots, we’re reaping the rewards of years of poor judgement and socio-economic hysteresis.

(I must mention Sully, who has done a sterling job where so many have failed. If more of us had his foresight and comprehension of the modern world, we might not be so deep down the hole we now occupy).