PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Vampire and Venom Boys'
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 16:44
brakedwell

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was on 111 course at 8 FTS Swinderby from October 1956 to August 1957, followed by six weeks filling in time at 7 FTS Valley awaiting a Hunter Course. All the students at Valley were members of the Fleet Air Arm. I remember finding the Vampire being so much easier to fly than the Piston Provost with only one hairy experience in the T11, although high mach number/high IAS control problems in single seat FB5 and FB9 were commonplace during the course. They were grounded for four weeks after two single seat Vampires failed to recover from high speed dives during medium level exercises. Trying to emulate test pilots in the Sound Barrier film frightened the pants off most of us! During the grounding from mid June to mid July 1957 our time was occupied cleaning the single seaters using an evil mixture called virgin's juice. A De Havilland team arrived and all the booms were found to be twisted beyond limits and serious dents in the bullet fairings on the tail were thought to be causing airflow problems around the tail. Not surprising as a lot of them had seen service in Korea!
The T11 incident gave me a fright. The brand new aircraft appeared on the flight line in the early part of the course and we all wanted to have a go in it. I think my turn came three days later for a solo medium level aerobatics and high speed run exercise. Pulling out of a high G dive around 20000 feet there was almighty bang and the aircraft flicked on to it's back. After recovering to level flight I was shocked to see the port wing had changed colour from silver to green! There was a strong tendency for the wing to drop, but it was controllanle and a few stalls confirmed the need to add an extra 10 to 15 knots on finals. The reason for the flick soon became apparent. The port wing was thinner than the starboard wing. One had been built at Hawarden and the other at Hatfield, hence the difference. The thin wing had been corrected by adding a very deep layer of filler, which broke away under stress after a few flight. Another memory - I managed to coax a T11 up to 49700 feet over the Irish Sea on a solo flight from Valley, tip-toeing between a high speed and a low speed stall with engine grumbling away gasping for air.

Last edited by brakedwell; 10th Jun 2018 at 18:11.