PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 12:14
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prophead again the downer on Manchester in particular please explain, rationally and reasonably !

Again it is the only UK airport outside of the South East of any size and potential to help meet the local needs for both business and leisure - a position the operator has battled for for fourty years leading the way for modernised and truly competitive bilateral air treaties.

And as I previously stated I believe its a significant driver for the Northern Economy indeed it’s pivotal in the regional growth especially when combined with group Cargo Hub that is East Midlands - got a pallet or two this airport combined with national road network will get it to and from almost the entire UK manufacturing base in under two hours for leaving the gate.

As for Leeds Bradford it’s got a place in the national debate and in truly expanding the access for those over the Pennines .
It hasn’t been too successful in retention of the very few long haul routes particularly to Pakistan and like a few others the gradually weakening Canada links (these includes those at Manchester btw)

Your issues with Manchester Airport an airport handling 28 million mostly point to point seem almost myopic. Indeed you seem to have a beef with the MAG Group in general why?

BTW did some research HAL has NOT provided ANY direct funding of any significance to the Elizabeth Line at all, its ALL from the DFT and TFL .

Indeed HAL have been taken to court and substantially rebuked over their proposed Line charges for use of the spur !

I think a Third of the population and an area of significant density justifiably requires substantive infrastructure spending , would it be that its Manchester being the focal point at the heart of the NP that’s your problem rather than being Leeds ?

You understand its a spine from Liverpool to Newcastle, and no it’s not meant to replace the south east corner but rather ensure the North meets its potential and includes developing the two docks and container ports to get goods into the world markets more effectively.
Right now however for another forum do you know how many of the containers that arrive in Southampton and Felixstowe end up in the North on countless trains every day. It’s phenomenal and accommodating these along the WCML is a major reason for HS2 still I digress!

Last edited by Rutan16; 10th Jun 2018 at 13:33.