PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 autothrottle failure
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 10:55
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps one answer to cope with a (subtle) A/T fail, is to guard the TLs during their scheduled movements.

Indeed, but in todays 'rely on the automatics' common culture unless it is an SOP, or enshrined in the training future, it wont happen. Sadly. In my outfits I tried to encourage it on the line; little effect as many blank stares. "It ain't an SOP." Well, following through the TL's after TOGA on takeoff is an SOP. Checking GA thrust is set, no follow through except AT TOGA, is an SOP. Following through TL's on approach even with AT ON, SOP. Following through at thrust reductions reaching crz, or thrust increase for a VNAV climb is not an SOP. Why only some of the time and not all the time?
Guys have no problem accepting their laptop goes AWOL occasionally, but they seem to have blind faith that a/c computers never fail. Yet they still ask the questions about why the FMC seems to be giving unrealistic vertical path information. That is also a computer. They accept sensors in their car fail, so why not AT sensors? If it's not taught it not happen, yet we've seen recent GA crashes due to incorrect AT response and lack of crew awareness.