PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheer Bad Luck
Thread: Sheer Bad Luck
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 08:56
chopjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lovely response chaps...
SAS
Explain to us all here what excessive weight does for Coning Angle, Angle of Attack, and Stress Loading on the Blades, and attached bits right down to the Transmission mounts will you?
If you stay in the green arcs, excessive weight will do the same as normal weight. (The rotors are only pulling up at the same allowable rate, so coning angle etc is the same but with a much lower ROC if any).
In support of TC in this....I would never fly an aircraft after ChopJock did....ever!
That's ok, but I never take off over weight and always remain within the green arcs...

bront
If you are an engineer, then you would know, that by hanging more weight under the rotor system you would increase the stress on the rotor shaft and the bearings that stop this shaft from being pulled out of the gearbox. Plus the gearbox mounts and a whole lot of other stuff that I wont go into, just trying to keep it simple for you!
If you are a pilot, you should know that adding more weight under the rotor system is balanced by the amount of thrust produced by that rotor system. If you only produce up to max allowable thrust (remain in the green) then there is NO MORE added stress! Your statement would be true if I added excess weight then tried to climb at the same ROC achieved with the lighter weight.
Some of the things you say would be funny, except that there are inexperienced people that come on here to learn.
I'm sure inexperienced people will read all the posts and make up their own mind, I am sometimes just giving a different point of view for the sake of discussion and it's working!
crab
you overload the aircraft and manage to stagger to the hover (at the very top of the green arcs as you love to insist) - what spare performance have you got to transition?
Probably none so if you can't do it within the yellow arcs and within the time limits, put it back down.
Suppose you do stagger into forward flight and need to climb - have you accounted for your large decrease in climb performance, your reduced VNE (which graph are you going to use for that since you are above MTOM?)
Yes, not sure a reduced VNE would be relevant as if you are over weight you would be using up to MCP and being a pilot, one would expect to fly gently within the normal cruise at all times anyway!
If you have an engine failure, have you thought about how the remianing donkey is going to cope with that excess weight?
No, you've got me there, I am assuming no mechanical failures during the over weight part of the flight. (After all, are you likely to have a failure if you remain in the green?)
Your assertion that there is no difference between MTOM and above MTOM ignores the fact that you are very unlikely to be able to do this 'in the green arcs'.
Yes absolutely correct. But, if it's a cold morning at sea level...

Last edited by chopjock; 10th Jun 2018 at 09:25.