PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Conspicuity in the UK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2018, 13:05
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Yes but the DEP might be a standardisedposition, but it still gives a false impression in my own opinion. Human’s adapt their look out to compensate for the challenges like canopy arches and window frames. However, those sorts of diagrams make no allowance for that. Therefore, in my view (no pun intended), they are misleading.

When used with Sky Demon or other software then these devices then the pilot can be warned aurally by beeps, hoots and squeaks. Some even call out the traffic direction or height relative to you. You get what youpay for.

As for Pilot Aware’s claims of thousands of users, that is probably how many they have sold. However, I know of many that bought them and used them a couple of times and then stopped - too many wires, loose dongles, intrusive antennae and the requirement for power from a seperate source. I was even offered one second hand for 50 quid, which I declined as you need to keep buying a licence to use it.

I have updated your list for you:

Conspicuity/Detection
Mode S - all military aircraft, some with ADS-B Out in the ES element

FLARM - BBMF, all Tutors, all Vikings, Vigilants (until scrapped earlier this month), Tucano and I know they did a trial with Hawk but not sure where that went. The new Prefect is due to get FLARM, but I am unsure on Texan, Phenom, Jupiter and Juno. Pretty much all, except Viking, are PowerFLARM so they also detect ADS Out.

Primary and Secondary RADAR - Typhoon and Lightning. Tornado GR4 can use its ground mapping RADAR in a limited air to air mode and does so for finding the AAR tanker, but it is optimised for ground mapping and other modes. E3D and Sea King AEW has primary and secondary RADAR.

JTIDS/MIDS - this datalink will receive the RADAR picture from ships, ground RADARs, AEW/AWACS aircraft. This can also show the presence of aircraft that are either a pure RADAR detection or a secondary Mode A/C/S return and display it in the JTIDS equipped aircraft. Many have JTIDS/MIDS capability including Typhoon, Lightning, Tornado GR4, E-3D Sentry, Sentinel R1, Hercules C130, Voyager, A400 and Sea King Mk 7 - there are probably more that I have missed.

ACAS/CWS - this has been a long time coming in Tornado and the work from this will likely go on to the procurement of other systems. It is basically a Collision Warning System (CWS) that detects in a similar way to TCAS but has been militiarised for fast jets. Some info here https://assets.publishing.service.go...e_Redacted.pdf

TCAS I or II - all heavies, some helicopters and some of the training fleet like Phenom, Tucano and Hawk. Again, I know of quite a few but have not flown all of these. Obviously, TCAS will detect ADS-B Out if it is SIL=1 or above, but those using the Pilot Aware’s GPS for their Mode S ES transponders will pnly be outputting SIL=0.

There is RAF representation at the CAA/MOD Electronic Conspicuity Working Group. My understanding is that ADS-B is the favourite over and above the proprietary systems like FLARM, which has a strong global following, or things like the UK-only Pilot Aware.

I 100% agree with BEagle. That ADS-B is the ONLY way to go. So many aircraft would see ADS-B if it was SIL=1 or above (ie. from a certified GPS source) and that would include the military. This Pilot Aware phenomena has seduced the Light Aircraft market because it is cheap (although once you buy a battery, a tablet, some software and some velcro, it isn’t that cheap). But the only thing that Pilot Aware emits is around 870mhz that is the ‘free to use’ band that is used for shops RFID tagging, burglar alarms and motor vehicle tracking - that is its real limitation. Also, the chances of it being embodied in any military aircraft is ZERO as it is completely uncertified, without any assurance of its quality whatsoever.