PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Conspicuity in the UK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2018, 09:59
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet
PS. And the CAA have already said it is their system of choice: https://www.caa.co.uk/News/ADS-B-can...ons,-says-CAA/
Not sure where I stand on this.

The FASVIG trial was allegedly completed late 2017, but there seems no report on it. I was at the last RAeS GAG conference where FASVIG proudly announced a trial of six(?) installations, and virtually came to blows with the PAW team who apparently hadn't been in the loop and were claiming a couple of thousand installations.

So on the one hand we have a bunch of amateurs with a lashed up system, but it works, seems to be in a couple of thousand aeroplanes. And on the other hand we have a CAA sponsored "professional" trial that seems to have tested stuff in single figure installations, then not actually reported their trial, nor engaged with the amateurs who have been leaving them behind.

Whatever else that is, it's a mess.

What I am clear in my mind is that we should be concentrating on getting traffic warnings into cockpits - conspicuity to ATC, whilst necessary for other reasons, isn't a solution to collision risk.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 9th Jun 2018 at 10:10.