PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FaceTime/Skype/Messenger blocked
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2018, 09:01
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
FaceTime/Skype/Messenger blocked

I’m well aware some in EK management read Pprune (listen up!!) but this is more for those considering coming to the UAE to work for EK/FZ/unnamed...

The last few months the UAE really cracked down on FaceTime/Skype etc and made it unusable (and illegal). Their justification is security but it’s pretty clearly a way for Du/Etisalat to make money out of international calls. Just about no other country on Earth has the same excuse for blocking these services.... except maybe China.

Yes we’ve tried various ways of getting around it but those ‘applications’ seem to work for some and not others. Even went so far as to use the legitimate C’Me/Botim apps and the 50dhs/month charge to ‘activate internet calling’. Those apps are pretty much useless.

So to those of you you thinking of coming here consider the frustration and anger this ban will cause for you and your family just to maintain contact back home, or even to speak to your other half while away on a layover!!!

EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have spoken to about this subject expresses their FRUSTRATION AND PURE ANGER at how ridiculous this ban is. If you want an example of the many small things the UAE/EK/Dubai do that just p*** everyone off for no real benefit, this is probably the best.

Rant over..