PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK & FZ latest offers
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2018, 18:00
High Energy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flydubai is a good alternative if you want a no stress environment, good quality of life compared to EK, sleep in your own bed 90% of the time and upgrade within on average 2.5 years. It's the people you work with that are nice. Flt ops managers are approachable and yes, nice. Don't expect Western style decision making anyware but as long as you just do as they ask you to do you'll be fine. A big shift away from a punitive style training to actual training during LPC/OPC's. Very welcome move! Education assistance now allowed untill age 21. (iso 19) Stable rosters. Not more that 1 roster change on average per 2 months. Good myIDTravel stafftravel for a loco with EK/EY and another 30+ airlines for self and parents/in-laws on many airlines too. Forever expanding from a single base. (DWC ops so far is negligable) You always get your 42 days of contractual leave. Money is always on time.

The bad is the seniority system does not work for rosters and leave. As a DEC it's tough but I do see very junior DEC's doing popular flights too. Leave system is unfair and does not work. It's just doesn't work anymore on our nbr of pilots. Forget sensible payrises on basic or allowances to offset inflation or VAT. Bonusses will never be paid out as we either never qualify or the bar is unrealistically high. Too much deadheading in economy with 12-14+hr days. (day and night) No Platinum card. No transfer option to EK for those that do fancy longhaul. No buddy stafftravel tickets on EK for example. Roaters are generally piblished far too late IMHO. Usually 7 days before the end of the month as per the books but it sometimes nearly takes 2 weeks between the last day of bidding and roster publication. What happens in those 2 weeks?

What's coming? A new rostering system with min 12 days off for everyone. Potentially even up to 14 per month. No single days off, no deadheads. A few more layovers. This new system will then also allow a new leave bidding system awarding seniority and spreading the load evenly.

I think EK has the better overall package but you can't put a price on seeing your family every day and being in your own bed almost always without jetlag or longhaul fatigue. If you are young or in a relationship without kids go to EK. With kids I'd go flydubai. Dubai is all about EK as it's the money maker and has the brand name.And that's ok. Funny isn't it that when people find out you're a pilot the first thing they'll ask is; "what fleet"? Assuming you are with EK. When you say 737 with flydubai it's almost always; "oh" and the end of the discussion. Still makes me giggle.

I must have missed quite a few good/bad points but this is my view so far having been here 5+ years in the left seat. I really like it here and are happy to stay.

Last edited by High Energy; 8th Jun 2018 at 18:14.