PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Conspicuity in the UK
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 19:26
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BEagle
PliotAware will eventually become the conspicuity Betamax. It uses unlicensed frequencies so will never be certifiable.

FLARM is useful for sailplanes in close proximity with each other and with a few powered aircraft flying from the same site.

The CAA has already said that the preferred solution will be based on ADS-B. So the contender for the most likely future system is probably Sky Echo platform plus a display / audio warning system.

When I reviewed a number of conspicuity devices a year or so ago, the only one which was of any use was the Trig device which didn't need a display - and gave only genuine collision warnings. I was quite shocked at the 'panel gazing' of many of the GA pilots involved - VFR implies L00KOUT, not staring at some iToy!
Yes, BEagle gets my vote. There is no place for the amateurish Pilot Aware in my opinion. The BBMF, the Tutors, the Tucano and the Viking gliders carry FLARM for the x-country glider mid air collision risks. The GR4 has a bespoke ACAS for, I think, Mode S? The Tucano has TCAS I. Most of the heavies have TCAS II with a few with TCAS I. That is about it for now.

As others have said, Typhoon and Lightning have a RADAR that will see most puddle jumpers at shortish ranges depending on what the light aircraft are made of. They also have Transponder Interrogators, but these have to be used sparingly in certain areas as they can make lots of traunsponders reply that could cause FRUIT (basically the garbling of the 1090 frequency). However, I also hear that Typhoon is likely to get an ADS-B In/Out capability.

Also, the CAMO would have a fit trying to fit this bodge into a military aircraft with all it’s secret wiggly amps potentially being compromised. (For those on here that don’t know then Pilot Aware is the dogs dinner posted below (soon all this will be put in a massive box instead). I for one would not want to trust my safety on this amateur set up.)