PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This can't be good - A380
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 18:15
RufusXS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swh
First few 787s didn’t see a day of airline service and were broken up !!
That's not really true. The first 6 787s produced were meant to be test articles. 1-3 were never envisioned as having economic value after testing so I believe they are scattered around the world as static displays. 4-6 were thought to potentially be suitable for sale, but only #6 was purchased (I believe by the Mexican government for VIP transport). 4 & 5 were indeed scrapped with very low hours (1,500ish I believe).

That's quite different than being sold to carriers, used for a number of years but nowhere near their potential lifespan, then being scrapped for lack of interest.

Now, the 787s did have their early production units known as the "terrible teens." Those sat at Boeing for several years waiting for buyers. They were eventually modified to upgrade some of their degraded performance and were sold (I'm sure at steep discounts). Now if those serve for however many years/hours/cycles that these A380s served for, then can't find a buyer and are thus scrapped, that's probably a better comparison. Other than test articles #'s 4 & 5 though, I'm not aware of any 787s being scrapped yet.