PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre 2012 UAS flying hours
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 14:20
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTN11
As GtE gives reference to above, you could be credited an NPPL(A), but as you state in your post this will not be any use to fly EASA aircraft, and the route to upgrading this to an EASA FCL licence is closed.

The only credit you would get is on an LAPL(A):

So the only credit would be on your 9 hours solo, which at the discretion of an ATO you could count towards the 15 hours dual instruction. You would still need to do the 6 hours solo including cross country solo, and if you want a full PPL(A) you would then need to do the conversion course and further skills test at a later date.

Shame you didn't get the paperwork in before the deadline, as you could have been credited a NPPL(A), converted that to an LAPL(A), and then only had to do the conversion course to upgrade to full PPL(A). The deadline has passed on this avenue, so it is no longer available unfortunately.

but as you state in your post this will not be any use to fly EASA aircraft

That ain't necessarily so. The NPPL(A) allows the holder to fly EASA Aircraft, certainly until April next year and possibly forever. If Brexit results in the UK leaving EASA then the NPPL will be what it is today, a licence to fly a C172 or PA28 VANS RV and similar types. Remember they are only EASA aircraft in the eyes of people who go along with EASA.

Even if the CAA do not "leave EASA" they have allowed us NPPL holders to fly those aircraft up till now. On that basis I think they will continue to allow it.

As for the OP, I think the 12 year gap is more important than whether or not you can get credit for the hours. You should get along to your local RAFFCA flying club and get an NPPL at reduced prices, then build up hours doing cheap flying.

This Exemption is required to meet an operational need of limited duration to reduce the significant regulatory burden that will be placed on the UK General Aviation (GA) sector due to the delay in publishing of the latest Amendment to the Aircrew Regulation. This amendment will make provision for a further extended opt out in respect of LAPLs subject to Subpart B of Part-FCL. This Exemption will permit the continued use of UK National pilot licences to fly UK registered aeroplanes or helicopters or TMG’s with an EASA Certificate of Airworthiness or EASA Permit to Fly without the need for pilots to convert to Part-FCL pilot licences before the LAPL opt out is made available and adopted by the UK. 2.
The way I read that, and I am happy to be corrected, is that the CAA expect the Opt Out to be enshrined in law by next April and the NPPL to live forever and be good for G-registered EASA & AnnexII (for want of a better way to describe the two groups of airframes) that we fly.

See my thread on The NPPL Lives.